Short Review Talking Points
Here are some suggestions for creating your review of a film or DVD.
Title of Film: _________________________
Your name: __________________________
- How well did you like the film? Give us a sound-byte. (ie. It made me tear up.) Talk about what you liked most about the film and explain using examples from the film. If you don't like it, or some parts of it, talk about that; be specific by giving examples
- What is your favorite part of the film? Describe it fully and talk about why you like it so much.
- Who is your favorite character(s) in the film? Why do you like him or her? Is the actor who plays your favorite character someone you know from other films? Talk about what other films that actor has been in and describe why you like him or her.
- Describe what happens in the film as if you were describing it to someone who has never seen it. Remember that most people who read your review have not seen the film. Their decision to go see it or not see it might be based on what you say. Remember to not give away the ending. Everyone likes to discover that on their own.
- How much do you like the soundtrack and music? Is there anything outstanding about the soundtrack or music that draws your attention - perhaps a favorite musician or musical group - and if so, talk about that.
- Talk about the production aspects such as the (a) sets ,(b) locations, (c) costuming and (d) cinematography? Describe anything that stands out. Is the cinematography fantastic, mediocre or lacking? If the film is animated or has special effects, talk about that. Make no assumption that your audience knows these things; they look forward to your spin.
- Last, who do you recommend this film to? Your friends? Talk about what age group you think it is best suited for; whether girls or boys might like it best and why. Tell us why you are making your recommendation. And - give it urgency such as - "Rush out as soon as you can, you don't want to miss this one." or "You can wait til it comes to DVD."