Does Your Family Love Movies?
What about a chance to WIN a $10,000 college scholarship
Just by watching and writing movie reviews?
Host a screening of The Velveteen Rabbit
Join the KIDS FIRST! Film Critics' Weekend for an event that teaches kids strong critical thinking, writing and public speaking skills.
The KIDS FIRST! goal is to help children become critical media users so that the time they spend with media is beneficial. This takes education. Please join us in teaching children healthy media habits that last a lifetime.
The KIDS FIRST! Film Critics’ curriculum has been developed by educators, child development professionals and leading children’s media specialists. It is a secular program, designed for children between the ages of 6 and 15.
- Register to host a movie party the week of November 8th - 14th
- Receive a FREE DVD of THE VELVETEEN RABBIT DIRECTOR'S CUT (yours to keep) and free downloads for event supplies
- Screen THE VELVETEEN RABBIT DIRECTOR'S CUT
- Use the downloadable study guides to engage the kids in a discussion about the film
- Submit your attendance online by November 30th
- To be eligible for the $10,000 scholarship, kids ages 6 to 15 must submit their written review of THE VELVETEEN RABBIT DIRECTOR'S CUT online by midnight December 10, 2010. Scholarship provided by Stepping Stones Entertainment.
- Create a Fundraising Event – See FAQs for more information
Why this program? Media is here to stay. The average American child, age 8 to 18 now spends more than 7 ½ hours a day watching a “screen” – TV, computers, videogames, film and smart phones.
Learning to critique media is essential. The information received through media – film, videogames, Internet, TV, even text books - is constructed reality with messages, often subconscious, that shape our beliefs, values and attitudes. Critiquing media allows children to develop skills in critical thinking, language skills, writing and public speaking.
Industry supporters of The KIDS FIRST! Film Critics Campaign include Amazon.com, Anchor Bay Entertainment, Entertainment One, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Starz Kids & Family Channel, Stepping Stones Entertainment, Summit Entertainment, Toys“R”Us, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, and WonderWorld Entertainment. Stepping Stone Entertainment is donating a percentage of the sales of THE VELVETEEN RABBIT DIRECTOR'S CUT to KIDS FIRST!
Campaign support also comes from national nonprofit organizations that include the National Education Association, REEL FATHERS, National Association of Elementary School Principals and the National Council of Women’s Organizations, with a cumulative membership of over 17 million.
Return to KIDS FIRST! Film Critics' Campaign Page