Never Say Die: “The Goonies” Celebrates Its 25th Anniversary in Historic Astoria, Ore.
Fans Gather from Around the World to Commemorate Cult Classic Movie on Location, June 4-7
Eager to revisit secret caves, treacherous traps and hidden treasure, fans will gather in historic Astoria, Ore., to celebrate the anniversary of the cult classic film “The Goonies” June 4-7, 2010. Over the four-day event, Goonies lovers can retrace the steps of characters in the film by touring filming locations including the famous “Goonies House,” bowl at “Chunk’s Bowling Alley” and more, plus have the chance to mingle with original cast members including Corey Feldman, Jeff Cohen, Joe Pantoliano and Curt Hanson.
As part of the 25th anniversary festivities, the new Oregon Film Museum will open its doors for the first time. Converted from the old Clatsop County Jail featured in “The Goonies,” the museum is dedicated to preserving and celebrating the art and legacy of Oregon films and film-making. One of the many highlights is a special exhibit in the actual jail cell from, “The Goonies,” as well as stories, mementos and props from famous movies made in Astoria and across Oregon, such as “Kindergarten Cop,” “Animal House,” “Twilight” and more.
Original cast members and other celebrities will be on-hand to mark the occasion, including:
· Corey Feldman, who played “Mouth,” plus his band Truth Movement
· Jeff Cohen, the hilarious and beloved “Chunk”
· Joe Pantoliano, who appeared as the villainous “Francis Fratelli”
· Curt Hanson, who portrayed “Mr. Perkins,” the richest man in Astoria
· The alternative band The Ataris, whose album “So Long, Astoria” was inspired by a trip to visit Goonies sites
“The Goonies” 25th Anniversary
Friday – Monday, June 4 – 7, 2010
Weekend events include:
· Bus tours of filming sites, including an interior tour of the Goonies House
· Red carpet event and showing of “The Goonies” and a new documentary about the film at the Liberty Theater on Friday, plus additional movie showings throughout the weekend at other local theaters
· Stars from the movie signing autographs, along with local residents sharing memories from being on set
· An ‘80s night out on Friday in downtown Astoria with costume contests, music, bowling at “Chunk’s Bowling Alley” and more
· A “Goonies” themed concert on Saturday at Warren Field featuring Corey Feldman’s band, Truth Movement, the alternative band The Ataris, bluegrass band The Whiskey Rebellion and the pop-punk band Troy’s Bucket
· Hand-crafted “Goonies” beers created by local breweries
· A “Truffle Shuffle” 5k Run/Walk on Monday
· The new Oregon Film Museum grand opening and “Goonies” exhibit
· An Ecola Park picnic with fans and cast members in nearby Cannon Beach
Visit http://www.GooniesAnniversary.com for complete event details. Official memorabilia, including t-shirts, hats, glassware, collectible doubloons and more, will be available at the event headquarters affectionately named The Goon Docks, located at 15th and Marine Dr. in Astoria.